Lumea Prestige is a device that allows for slowing down and reducing hair regrowth. To achieve this, it uses the technique of pulsed light.
How does pulsed light work?
Pulsed light slows down hair regrowth by sending a light pulse to the hair follicles located under the skin. This light pulse is absorbed by the melanin in the hair (melanin is the pigment that gives color to the skin and hair).
To obtain optimal results, the effectiveness of pulsed light treatment depends largely on the amount of melanin present in your hair. The darker the hair, the more melanin it contains.
Blonde, gray, and white hairs do not contain enough melanin, so pulsed light will not work on these hair colors. Red hairs contain a different type of melanin that does not respond to pulsed light.
On the other hand, the skin must have a low level of melanin in order to not attract the light. Very dark skin has a high level of melanin, which can absorb the light and cause burns, blisters, or skin depigmentation.
Skin tone sensor
Luméa Prestige is equipped with a skin tone sensor (located on the top of the device) that helps determine the appropriate intensity level for the hair removal session. A small white light blinks on one of the five intensity levels, which you can choose from. When the device is turned on, the default intensity level is set to 1.
It is important to note that if the device is placed on an area of skin that is too dark, the “ready to flash” indicator will blink in orange and the device will automatically deactivate. The flash button will not have any effect when pressed in this situation.
Lumea Prestige works on a range of skin tones, from very fair to brown, and on hair colors ranging from dark blonde, brown to black.
The greater the contrast between the color of the hair and the skin tone, the more effective the pulsed light epilator will be. Lighter skin is less sensitive to the flashes and can withstand the highest intensity level (5), resulting in better hair removal results.
A word of caution
It cannot be used on white, gray, light blonde, or red hair.
Some details about Luméa Prestige
- Dimensions W x H x D: 27.5 x 19.4 x 13.7 cm (model BRI 954/00)
- Net weight: 0.9 kg
- Long-lasting quartz lamp: 250,000 flashes, > 500 full body uses
- Works wirelessly and also on mains power, for ultimate freedom of movement
- High-performance lamp: produces > 250,000 flashes
Instructions for use
I strongly recommend downloading and reading the manual BEFORE purchasing Luméa Prestige. When you buy a new device, you just want to use it right away and you don’t always take the time to fully read the instructions given!
Given that there are contraindications, it is safer to know them before buying it! This will also give you an overview of the instructions to follow.
I found it on this link:
Luméa Prestige instructions for use
If this link no longer works, you can go to the website:
Then click on the magnifying glass to perform a search, enter BRI954, in the search results you should have a link to “support” for the product, that’s where the instructions for use can be downloaded.
It has 137 pages and is translated into 5 languages: English, German, French, Italian, and Dutch.
The table of different skin tones is located at the very beginning of the manual as well as detailed photos of the parts of the device.
WARNING: There are several models of Luméa Prestige, I confess that I had not paid attention! I had downloaded the pages written in French (from 58 to 84). I did not look closely at the accessories, thinking that there was only ONE model of Luméa Philips Prestige 2018. When I discovered my kit, I thought I was missing accessories… Well, it all depends on the model purchased!
I took a closer look at the manual I received. Indeed, on the cover, several model numbers appear. They are not all equipped with the same number of “heads”!
BRI956 / 00
BRI954 / 00
BRI 950 / 00
|Accessoire de précision||–||Oui||–|
I have the BRI 954 model and I use the precision attachment to do my bikini area and underarms.
Philips BRI954/00 Lumea Prestige Epilateur à Lumière Pulsée (IPL), Épilation Semi-définitive avec 3 Embouts Intelligents Uniques pour Corps, Visage et Zones Sensibles
- L'épilateur à lumière pulsée le plus efficace, pour une réduction permanente des poils en seulement 3 séances.* *Etude menée aux Pays-Bas et en Autriche sur 53 femmes après 3 traitements sur les jambes, le maillot, les aisselles, après 2 traitements sur le visage
- La seule technologie IPL du monde possédant des embouts intelligents qui adaptent le programme d'épilation à chaque zone du corps et du visage.
- Le capteur SmartSkin analyse votre peau et détermine l'intensité lumineuse à utiliser selon votre teint parmi les 5 niveaux d'intensité, pour une sécurité renforcée.
- L'épilateur à lumière pulsée le plus rapide sur tout le corps : en 15 min seulement, épilez l'ensemble des zones de votre corps efficacement et sans douleur.* *utilisé sur secteur, à la plus haute intensité